Yesterday I decided I needed to start testing the new WordPress 3.0 to see what the changes might be and how it might affect my network of blogs.
Setting Up To Test
After deciding to test it I decided I needed a private “new” domain to use for the testing. So it was off to GoDaddy to pick up a domain or three just to use for testing different things…I don’t know why I never did this before.
Installing the 3.0 Beta
I went ahead and let GoDaddy install the latest WordPress install. Then I went in and deleted all of the files (after copying the wp-config out to my machine to make it easier to copy and paste the db info) and uploaded the Beta installation. Ran the install and started playing.
So far I haven’t managed to break anything…Though I had trouble with a import…Seems every time the program tried to import an attachment and received an error it would not import anything below that point in the export file. I don’t know if it’s a 3.0 bug or something that happens in 2.9 also…Needs more testing.
So far I have only installed a couple of plugins. I have imported all of the posts from this site for testing purposes. I have blocked search engines…No reason to get burned for duplicate content.
Why Am I Testing
The main reason for the testing site though, is to make sure my themes and plugins don’t die with the upgrade. So far Atahualpa seems to still work. I will need to make some posts and double check the source code before I can be sure. Since almost all of my sites are running on that theme, it’s important to me that it keep working…
When I first set up the site I was using the new default theme Twenty-Ten 1.0. I have to say…I could almost live with the default as a basic layout. It’s a nice default theme. I haven’t gone looking through the code yet…But I will when I have a bit of free time.
The options on the new theme are rudimentary, but, simple to use. Changing header images and background colors couldn’t be easier.
The new custom Menus option works well, even when the theme does not implement the new feature. A new widget is added to allow the custom menus to be added to your sidebars.
The one issue I have so far is my inability to try out the MU version of 3.0 Beta. The install instructions stated that I would be asked if I wanted to install the MU version on the install…But I didn’t see it. Maybe I need to start with a completely clean database…I’ll try that in the coming days. I’ll keep posting my results…